Last Updated on March 6, 2023 by admin
Welcome to my recipe for homemade mac and cheese! This classic comfort food is a favorite of many, and for good reason – it’s creamy, delicious, and easy to customize with your favorite ingredients. In this post, I will walk you through a complete step-by-step recipe for making mac and cheese from scratch, as well as some tips for storing it for later use. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family. So let’s get started!
recipe of homemade mac and cheese
Here is a step-by-step recipe for homemade mac and cheese:
- 8 ounces of elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until the paste forms. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the paste, is golden brown.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the grated cheddar cheese until it is fully melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked macaroni and cheese sauce. Stir until the macaroni is evenly coated.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a baking dish. If using breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, sprinkle them over the top.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Storing Homemade Mac and Cheese:
Homemade mac and cheese can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the desired amount in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the mac and cheese in the oven by placing it in a baking dish and baking at 350°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
can you freeze homemade mac and cheese?
Yes, you can freeze homemade mac and cheese. It is best to freeze the mac and cheese before baking it, as the texture may become slightly compromised after being frozen and thawed. To freeze, follow the recipe instructions up to step 6 (before baking). Transfer the uncooked macaroni and cheese to a large, freezer-safe container or plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
To bake the frozen mac and cheese, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove the mac and cheese from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. If the top starts to get too brown before the mac and cheese is heated through, you can cover it with foil to prevent burning.
You can also freeze leftovers of baked mac and cheese. Let the mac and cheese cool completely, then transfer it to a large, freezer-safe container or plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat frozen baked mac and cheese, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake the mac and cheese for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through. You can also microwave individual servings of frozen baked mac and cheese in a microwave-safe container for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
what to do with leftover mac and cheese
There are many ways to use up leftover mac and cheese:
- Make mac and cheese balls: Shape the leftover mac and cheese into balls, roll them in breadcrumbs, and fry them in oil until they are crispy on the outside.
- Use it as a topping: Sprinkle leftover mac and cheese over grilled vegetables, baked potatoes, or hamburgers.
- Make a casserole: Combine leftover mac and cheese with cooked vegetables, protein (such as cooked chicken or ground beef), and a can of diced tomatoes. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake until heated through.
- Make a sandwich: Spread leftover mac and cheese between two slices of bread and toast the sandwich in a pan or on a griddle until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Use it as a pasta sauce: Toss leftover mac and cheese with cooked pasta and a little bit of milk or cream to create a creamy pasta sauce.
- Freeze it for later: As mentioned earlier, leftover mac and cheese can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator and reheat it in the oven or microwave for a quick and easy meal.
You may also like to read: A Complete Guide of Custom French Fry Boxes in 7 Easy Steps
I hope you enjoyed my recipe for homemade mac and cheese! As you can see, it is easy to make this classic comfort food from scratch, and the results are always delicious. Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or a main course, mac and cheese are sure to be a hit with the whole family. Plus, with the tips for storing it for later use, you can enjoy this creamy, cheesy goodness anytime. Thank you for following along, and I hope you give this recipe a try!