Last Updated on March 24, 2023 by hassan abbas
For anyone who’s been looking for the best nursing homes in Ireland, this list is for you. We’ve put together a guide to help you make an informed decision when choosing where to place your loved one.
Do you have an elderly family member who needs nursing home care? Then FirstCare Manor is the right place for them! With expert nursing care, beautiful locations, and robust safety measures in place to protect residents from the coronavirus, FirstCare wants to help your loved one live out their golden years comfortably at our assisted living community. To take the quick online assessment to see if FirstCare is the right fit for your loved one, visit
- Location: While there are many great nursing homes located near Dublin City Centre (the capital), Firstcare stands out as being one of only two facilities within county Wicklow that offers residents access to luxury amenities such as hydrotherapy pools and saunas (not available at most other locations). This means that those who live here can enjoy all the benefits of being close enough to city life while also getting away from it all when they feel like taking some time off!
- Price & Amenities: When considering costs per day at different nursing homes across Ireland 2022, one thing we noticed was how much variation there was between each facility’s pricing structure—especially when compared with places like Thailand where prices tend not fluctuate much across establishments due to economies of scale when dealing with large groups like families staying together over extended periods of time.”
- We are delighted to confirm that we are now welcoming new residents following the success of the vaccine roll-out. Our residents and staff have been fully vaccinated since early this year, however before reopening, we deemed it priority to first establish that it was extremely safe to do so. Over the last number of months we have closely monitored for any potential risks as we gradually eased restrictions and we are delighted to report that all of our homes remain completely free of the virus.
2. Ard na Mara, Donegal
Location: Ard na Mara is located in Donegal, a stunning county in the northwest of Ireland. The area is known for its beautiful scenery, rugged mountains and stunning beaches.
Facilities: The nursing home has a total of 30 beds available for residents, with 24 of those beds being private rooms. There are also 23 shared rooms where you can live as part of a small group if you prefer.
Staff: There are over 50 staff members at Ard na Mara who will provide around-the-clock care for your loved one’s needs so that they can be comfortable and at ease while staying there. The staff includes doctors and nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists etc., so that all needs are met during their stay at the nursing home.
Number of residents: Currently there are 61 residents staying at Ard na Mara Nursing Home which include both men and women aged 65 years old or more (60% male).
3. Ashdown Park Nursing Home, North Dublin
- Ashdown Park Nursing Home, North Dublin
If you’re looking for a nursing home that offers excellent care in a beautiful setting, then this is the place for you! Ashdown Park Nursing Home is located in Stoneybatter and offers luxurious apartments with high-end facilities and services. The staff are very friendly and caring towards residents, so you can be sure that they will be well taken care of here. The rooms are spacious with plenty of storage space so residents can stay organized while they live there. There are many activities available at the nursing home including classes on art appreciation or computer use. There is also an excellent menu prepared by the chefs every day which features dishes from all over the world so everyone will find something they like to eat!
4. Beechwood House Nursing Home, Cork
Located in Cork, Beechwood House Nursing Home can be found on Oakpark Way. The facility is one of the top nursing homes in Ireland and has been giving care since 1873.
The nursing home offers a variety of services to its residents, including dementia care and palliative care. Their staff includes nurses and therapists who specialize in Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and other forms of dementia; physical therapists who work with patients suffering from arthritis or other circulatory issues; speech therapists who help those suffering from speech problems due to strokes; occupational therapists who work with patients whose mobility has been affected by strokes or other injuries; audiologists who help those with hearing loss; ophthalmologists (eye doctors); dentists; pharmacists (who administer medications); chaplains (who provide spiritual support); dietitians who manage meal plans for individual patients based on their needs.
5. Clonskeagh Nursing Home, Dublin
- Clonskeagh Nursing Home is located in the heart of Dublin, on the south side of the city. It’s a great location for those who want to be close to their family and friends.
- The facilities here are also excellent, with spacious rooms and private bathrooms for each resident.
- The care given at this nursing home is top-notch; everyone from staff members to medical professionals will go above and beyond what you would expect from a nursing home.
- The food served here is delicious, cooked fresh by chefs who specialize in providing nutritious meals that leave residents feeling energized and satisfied.
6. Riverdale House Nursing Home, Mayo
Riverdale House Nursing Home, located in the town of Claremorris in County Mayo, is a long-standing nursing home that has been operating for over 100 years. The Riverdale House is situated beside the River Moy and provides care to both long-term residents and those who are recovering from illness or surgery.
Riverdale House Nursing Home offers all of the amenities you would expect from an Irish nursing home: comfortable rooms with en suite bathrooms; excellent cuisine; regular entertainment such as movie nights and live music performances; indoor pool and gymnasium where residents can exercise; on-site beauty salon where residents can get their hair done regularly by professional hairdressers; close proximity to other health services such as doctors’ offices and pharmacies so you don’t have to travel far if your loved one needs medical attention while living at Riverdale House Nursing Home
- Riverdale House Nursing Home, Mayo
- Beechwood House Nursing Home, Cork
- Clonskeagh Nursing Home, Dublin
- Anam Cara, County Wicklow
- Ard na Mara, Donegal: This home is one of the most unique in Ireland. It’s based on the south coast of Ireland but also has a stunning coastal village nearby for residents to enjoy. The design of this nursing home was inspired by an ancient Irish legend about reincarnation and immortality!
While some homes can feel like a hospital or hotel for the elderly, these six are more like living spaces that have been adapted for people who need help with daily life activities but still want to feel at home.
We’ve given you the rundown on six of the best nursing homes in Ireland. Hopefully, this will help you decide which one is right for you and your loved ones.